Fall's Here Already!

Wow, I can't believe summer is over already. Usually fall is my favorite season, but I just don't want the warm weather to go just yet this year. It will be great to see all of the beautiful colors of fall soon and take in the slendor that God has given us. I also love the smell's of fall...spice, cinnamon and vanilla.

Here is to enjoying the wonderful season upon us.

Much Love~The Gold's



Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Weekly Update - 5 Oct 2009‏

Dear Family:
General Conference was great! It went by quickly compared to years past. Maybe it's because I was completely attentive, taking notes, and anxious to be learning from the apostles and the prophet. I'm glad you were able to catch one of the sessions. Elder Holland's talk was very powerful. I also enjoyed Elder Christofferson's talk about discipline. He had a great comment when talking about "wayward children" as he said that some parents feel like they need to let their kids choose which religion they want to be apart of, and that they don't want to inflict on their kids' agency to choose. He went on to say that they can't choose intelligently until the truth has been presented to them.

We watched the morning session of General Conference on Saturday with Pres. and Sis. Blackburn in their room here at the mission home and they cooked lunch for us afterwards (mexican casserole dish). It was nice to kick back and be instructed. We watched the remaining three general sessions and the priesthood session at the church building we attend on Sundays. The weekend went by fast.

We made it through "Transfer Day" last Wednesday after ushering out 10 missionaries and picking-up 23 new ones from the MTC. Most of my good friends from the mission have left now, but I still have a few left. Transfer day felt like a circus...we had the office staff asking us questions, the new missionaries asking us questions, the trainers asking us questions, and the list could continue. It was a solid time period for testing my patience. I hope I passed.

We will be having a baptism with Gabe Naylor this Saturday if the building is available. We will be having Stake Conference that same day and sometimes scheduling conflicts can arrise. He was married on 26 Sept and got back into town yesterday evening from his honeymoon. We're looking forward to seeing the climax of his investigation of the Church.

As I've talked with people in the wards we cover about their various different educational fields they were apart of, I have been wondering if it's better to have a job in a field that provides stability, or if it's better to have a job that you absolutely love. Ideally, you would want to have both, but if you had to choose one, which would it be?

Throughout my mission I've been compiling a list of things that I've learned while serving as a missionary. I've included things I've learned about myself, people in general, behavior patterns, life in general, etc. and I plan to send the list in my final e-mail in a few months. This past week I've learned that: 1. There's more than one right way to do things.There are too many missionaries that get caught up in thinking that there is only one correct way to do things. That mindset creates tension and irritation with those that are surrounded by that Elder/Sister. One person's style may be different that yours, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. If their style violates rules, then obviously it would need to be changed.2. I need time for myself.I've learned that I need some time to be alone to think and focus on what I'm doing and what I can do to improve. Having some time alone helps me feel refreshed when I'm around others and when I talk to someone again. By not having some time alone, being around others and talking to them can become mundane.3. Missions help you discover your spiritual potential.There's a quote that goes around that says, "You can gauge the type of person you will be for the rest of your life by the type of missionary you are." I hope I've seen my spiritual potential and that I can live up to it.

The Church is true. I'm grateful for my membership in it. I'm grateful for the time that I've had to share my testimony with others and to use it as a tool in conversion. I view it as a privilege to serve a mission and to see other people change their lives. Time continues to wind down, but there's still time to teach others and let my testimony impact them in whatever way the Lord directs.

Have a great week!
Elder Brycen Gold

0 comments: